Salt Lake City, UT: C.R. Savage, Photo, [c.1890]. Cabinet card [21.5 cm x13 cm] C.R. Savage Art Bazar backstamp. Gentle overall age toning. Image shows swimmers in the foreground with the pier and the ornate pavilion in the background. Item #37456
The Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad built Lake Park Bathing resort on the eastern shores of the Great Salt Lake, halfway between Ogden and Salt Lake. The ornate bathing pavilion and beach facilities was built at some expense, but after less then a ten years it was shut and some of the buildings were moved to Farmington by Simon Bamberger to start Lagoon. The Salt Lake Herald wrote of Lake Park: "Lake Park was opened in the summer of 1886 by the Denver & Rio Grande railroad. It was on the shores of Great Salt Lake, about midway between Salt Lake and Ogden. There were several hundred bath houses, each provided with a fresh water shower bath and a stationary washstand. There were, in addition, buildings for restaurant and bar, a grand pavilion with music for dancing, a fine pier, shooting galleries, baseball and cricket grounds, bowling alleys and boats for hire. The place was on an extensive scale and was well managed but the bathing was never a success, as there was a mud bottom to the lake at that point and no amount of filling in with gravel enabled the owners to overcome this difficulty."