Kirtland, Ohio: Printed by O. Cowdery & Company for P.P. Pratt and J. Goodson, 1837. Second Edition. 619pp. Sextodecimo [16 cm] in original full brown sheep with decorative gilt-stamped backstrip divided into five compartments, with gilt-stamped black leather spine label, double gilt rule on boards, original owner’s name (M. A. Young) stamped in gilt on front board, top edge brown.
Heavy rubbing to extremities, fine surface cracks to backstrip leather, rubbed area of about 1” square to front board at foot; textblock almost completely disbound, connected to binding by about 1” of front hinge at top; heavy rubbing to endpapers, rear endpaper torn out; dampstains to front matter and to rear flyleaf; pencil scribble to margins of last few pages of text; fingertip-sized portion torn from margin of p415-416 and p437-438, taking a very small portion of text with it; occasional light soiling to text, moderate to heavy foxing throughout. Item #53984
Based on the personalized binding and date, this copy was presumably presented to Mary Ann Angell Young, Brigham Young's second wife. The Church History Library is in possession of an 1841 Book of Mormon known to have belonged to Mary Ann Angell; that copy is also stamped with "M. A. Young" in gilt.
Several names and birthdates (apparently unrelated to the Youngs) are written in ink throughout the book; they appear in the front matter and on the Testimony pages, but also in margins and chapter headings throughout the text, and often bleed through to the next few pages. The names (all of which appear multiple times) belong to Josiah Clark (born February 6, 187_), George Mortimer Clark (born December 24, 1874), and Sarah Lucretia Clark (born January 1_, 187_).
Joseph Smith and other Church leaders began discussing a second edition of the Book of Mormon as early as 1833. The printing was delayed with the destruction of the press in Independence, and the Kirtland press occupied with the Doctrine and Covenants and the Evening and Morning Star. Printing of the second edition took place in the winter of 1836-1837. Five thousand copies were ordered to be printed, but in 1886, Ebenezer Robinson, who was a typesetter at the Kirtland print shop, recalled the number being closer to three thousand. This smaller number would explain the scarcity of this book compared to the 1830 Palmyra edition of the Book of Mormon (of which 5,000 copies were printed).
The co-publisher, John Goodson, was a man of considerable means who was converted by Parley Pratt on his 1836 Canadian mission. Goodson left for England in July of 1837 with Heber C. Kimball, Orson Hyde and others. Goodson took a number of the 1837 Book of Mormon with him, and being the co-publisher he would have surely had many copies. He sold some copies in England, and according to a letter by Hyde, used much of the money collected to help support his fellow missionaries. Goodson returned to the States with about two hundred copies despite his fellow missionaries' calls to leave them in England.
Corrected by Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. Includes a new preface by Parley Pratt. Crawley 35. Flake/Draper 596. Auerbach 1: 1169. Sabin 83039. Graff 708. Howes S623.